Knight to Nebraska Wesleyan; Checkmate

Nebraska Wesleyan’s newest club centers around the game of chess

Members+break+into+groups+of+two+and+play+each+other+on+the+clubs+fabric+mats.+Each+player+movies+their+pieces+in+an+attempt+to+capture+the+others+King+piece.+

Katie Tresler

Members break into groups of two and play each other on the club’s fabric mats. Each player movies their pieces in an attempt to capture the other’s King piece.

There are a variety of clubs on campus, from international relations, to knitting, to wildlife, there’s something for everyone. The most recently formed club on campus is one that might surprise a few people, Chess Club. Formed in April of 2022, they were only able to have two meetings before the semester ended. However, they are back and ready for the semesters to come.

Sophomore Tanner Klahn teaches new players the rules of the game. Knowing how to play is not a requirement and people of all skill levels are welcome. (Katie Tresler)

Chess is an incredibly old and extremely popular board game where two people play against each other moving their 16 pieces in an attempt to capture the other’s king piece. Pawns, bishops, rooks, knights, queens, and kings are moved strategically around the checkered board capturing one another until one of the kings cannot move without being captured. This board game has now become a uniting factor for the 20 active members of this club.

“I think it’s a population of the school that isn’t represented in most clubs. A lot of chess players—not all but most—are introverts. They do a lot of activities that are very different, but this allows them to meet together,” Secretary Lilly Frields explained.

Chess Club is open to everyone, no matter the skill level. It’s just a place where students can meet up for a relaxing game. Some members of the club have been playing for a long time and are ready for the challenge of playing skilled players just as much as they are ready to teach newcomers the rules.

Sophomore Quinn Schieffer stated, “I just like playing chess for fun. I’m not good at it by any means, but I’m working to get better, and it’s a fun way to end my night. It’s not competitive and not judgmental. If you have never played before, or if you’re really good at it, it’s a really open and calm environment to be in.”

The club provides a space for students to bond with one another over the game, but most importantly, it just allows students to hang out, joke around, and really form friendships with one another.

Chess Club meets every Thursday in room 316 of the library. Snacks are provided. (Katie Tresler)

“I joined the club because it seemed very welcoming and wasn’t too competitive,” sophomore Sophia Chavanu said before adding, “I love the environment. We all get along so well. Even if you don’t know people, we can still joke with them.”

Chess club meets every Thursday evening from 7:00 pm-9:00 pm in room 316 of the Cochrane-Woods Library. Members don’t have to be present for the entire meeting time, they can come late or leave early if they’re busy. The meeting time is just a time slot for any members who can come between the two hours.

Frields remarked, “Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram @nwuchessclub and we’ll see you at 7:00 on Thursday!”

https://www.instagram.com/nwuchessclub/